Program Essentials for California Library Literacy Services
Mobile Library Literacy Services (MLLS)
In a continuing effort to serve the hard-to-reach, under-served, and geographically and/or socially isolated, the library has a mobile vehicle that is outfitted for and provides library literacy outreach and programming for both adults and children.
Adult Literacy Services and outreach to the adult learner are the foundation of library literacy services because reaching the adult is the critical first step in addressing the literacy needs of the entire family. Serving adults provides continuity and a bridge to the family and the community.
Essential Components of Mobile Library Literacy Services include the following:
- Parenting education
- Parent and child time together
- Serving the hard to reach, underserved, and geographically and/or socially isolated
- Enrichment of the family environment through free book distribution
- Orientation to the library & other community resources
- Targeted and general outreach
- Direct service & programming occur on the MLLS unit
Program Essentials of Mobile Library Literacy Services include the following:
- The MLLS vehicle is used as an outreach tool to reach prospective adult literacy students.
- Participating families receive free children’s books for ownership, as well as other reading materials and incentives.
- Service stops made by the MLLS vehicle are selected to ensure it is reaching the hard-to-reach, underserved, and geographically and/or socially isolated.
- Adult, child, and family literacy programming occurs on the MLLS vehicle.
- Activities not occurring on the vehicle are tied to vehicle programs.
- Adults participating in MLLS activities are given instruction in the use of children’s books, in reading aloud to children, and in the selection of books on topics such as parenting, childcare, health, nutrition and family life education, and in how to create a literacy-rich environment at home.
- A strong connection to the public library is made, since MLLS programming is provided outside the public library setting.
- Literacy and other library staff cooperate, partner and collaborate to assure integration of library services for participating adults and children.
- As a library literacy outreach vehicle, the library knows its service population and community needs, and MLLS services have been designed to respond to those needs.