Application and Reporting Timeline
- January: Mid-year report is due.
- February: Pre-application forms are due.
- April: All budget modification request forms for the current fiscal year must be submitted to be approved.
- April/May: Annual application forms are due.
- July: Awards are issued when the state budget passes.
- August/September: Annual reports are due.
- Ongoing: Budget modification request forms are submitted when funds are reallocated from one approved budget category to another. All requests for the current fiscal year must be submitted for approval consideration by the end of April.
Application and Reporting Forms and Instructions
- Continuing Application Form and Instructions (2020-2021)
- Annual Final Report Instructions (2019-2020)
- COVID-19 Related Activities Survey Instructions (2019-2020)
- Thursday, October 22, 2020 Network Conversation video – California State Library staff discuss the CLLS Annual Final Report and SurveyMonkey Survey on COVID-19 literacy program activities.
- CLLS Certification Form
- Budget Change Request Form: Contact us for the Budget Change Request form if you have reallocated funds from one approved budget category to another.
- Calculating FTE
- Calculating FTE percentages
The California State Library distributes funds to participating libraries according to a three-part formula that reflects the California Library Literacy Services mission and values. The funding formula was created in 2003 to implement the newly revised California Library Literacy Services Law. The State Library provides participating libraries with:
- A baseline amount that reflects the importance of each library having funds to provide a minimum level of local literacy staffing.
- A per capita amount per adult learner served—reflecting the belief that adult literacy services are the heart of California Library Literacy Services and the basis for the program’s family literacy services.
- A match on local funds raised and expended for adult and family literacy services—reflecting the State Library’s commitment to state and local partnerships.¹
¹ If a library literacy program’s local match is less than the baseline amount it receives from the State Library, the program is not eligible for the matching and per capita portions of the formula.
Using Gender-Inclusive Language (July 2020)
Guidelines for Collecting Demographic Information (August 2020)