The Adult New Reader Project is a statewide collection of fiction and nonfiction books created in 2022 by Sacramento Public Library with LSTA funding. The Adult New Reader Project collection of 108 high interest, low-level books were written by 75 literacy tutors, staff and learners from 42 CLLS programs across California. The books are accessible to adult learners reading at levels 1 and 2 on the Fry Index (see “The Fry Graph and Instructions” for more information). Each book has helpful “Tutor Tips” that provide relevant pre- and post-reading and writing activities for tutors and learners to explore together.
The LSTA-funded Adult New Reader Project was inspired by Read Santa Clara‘s project in 2020 during which they produced 21 Adult New Reader books. While the LSTA collection includes “Tutor Tips” in all books and text that is accessible to adult reading at levels 1 and 2 on the Fry Index, the Read Santa Clara collection also includes books written at a slightly higher level and a few offer “Tutor Tips.”
This project was supported in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian.
Adult New Reader Resources
- Adult New Reader Collection List with Description and Links to View and Purchase
- Adult New Reader Collection List by Cycle and Links to View and Purchase
- FAQs for Purchasing Adult New Reader Collection
- Read Santa Clara Collection List with Description and Links to View and Purchase
- Instructions for Accessing Pleasure Reading on ProLiteracy